Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Times They Are a-Changin'

Yesterday, I left the guild I have been in for three years. It was a hard decision to make, but I didn't really see any other options.

The guild introduced me to raiding back when Karazhan was new. I had played the game since its release, but never really gotten into the raiding scene until TBC.

The raiding days in TBC were a lot of fun. The guild was far from cutting edge, but we had fun while raiding, and slowly made progress. I know it's easy to forget the hard times, but I have a lot of fond memories from those days.

The main reason for leaving was that 25-man raiding had become a lot less fun. The raiding atmosphere was bad, raid morale was low, and I didn't agree with the leadership style of the raid leader. The state of raiding was so bad that we barely got enough signups to go raiding at all.

All guilds have their ups and downs, and during the three years I was a member in this guild, I stayed and helped the guild through bad times before. This time, however, I don't see any change for the better anytime soon, and I no longer have strong enough emotional ties to the guild to be prepared for a long haul.

Many of my in-game friends have left the guild, and other people I respect and enjoy playing with have either stopped raiding or play alot less than they used to.

It came to a point where I realized that logging on my paladin wasn't as much fun as it used to be. So I decided to leave and start afresh someplace else.

Will the grass be greener on the other side? I hope so. Only time will tell.

To my former guild mates I'd like to say: "So long and thanks for all the fish feasts!"

2 comments:

  1. 1, great reference to Douglas Adams, 2 hope your wandering soul finds a home.

    peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone always thinks the grass is greener when end - end content is upon WoW, I have seen it in both Vanilla and TBC. Excuses and blaming is a part of looking for something/someone to lash out at as the game has become stale and too easy. The whole warcraft community has changed in the five years it has run and it will never return to what it was.

    We all play this game for ourselves when it comes down to it (although we all complain about others and say we're working as a team) and if this is what is important for you in the game then it's a good call.

    It's had to read that friends of your's have left the game/guild or increased their downtime for whatever reasons but i'm 100% sure your have left many, many, more loyal and respected friends than you realise in your old guild.

    A friend...

    ReplyDelete

Arnax