Friday, May 8, 2009

Tankadin Shield Enchants

There are three available shield enchants, each catering a different flavor.

  • Defense - Increses defense rating by 20. Good avoidance enchant.
  • Titanium Plating - made by blacksmiths, this increases the block value by 40, and also reduces disarm effects. Good threat and mitigation enchant.
  • Major Stamina - old school TBC enchant, this increases stamina by 18. This enchant has not yet seen an upgrade in WotLK. Good enchant for efficient health.
Tanks love avoidance. Tanks love health. Tanks love threat. So how do you choose?

The answer is to enchant your shield so that you strengthen its strengths, not to cover it's weaknesses. Then you keep a couple of shields in your bags, and switch to whatever the current encounter requires.

As an example, in Naxx I ran with the Titanium Plating on my Wall of Terror as a threat/block shield on trash, and with Defense on my Hero's Surrender as an avoidance shield.

In Ulduar, I replaced the enchant on Wall of Terror to Defense and use that shield as a default shield. The reason is that I want the stamina on it as well as the block rating. If I put on Hero's Surrender, I am no longer block capped. I am currently juggling the new Ulduar gear around to stay block capped, and so far, I need this shield.

Last week, Northern Barrier dropped. I passed on it since it's a side grade to Wall of Terror. But if I ever get it, I will probably put the Titanium Plating on it to make a serious threat shield.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arnax