Monday, June 8, 2009

Failure at General

On Thursday, we engaged Genral Vezax. This week we didn't have a death knight tank in the raid, and since I had successfully tanked the big squid on 10-man, I stepped up to the challenge to tank him.

It didn't go well at all.

The Surge of Darkness was not a problem. I used my bubble wall every other cast, and one of the priests used his cooldown every other cast. I was never even close on dying to the ability that should have been the biggest problem due to limited tankadin cooldowns.

Instead, it was the Searing Flames that got me killed. I had 43k health in the fight, which meant that I could survive two consectutive melee hits (Squid Face hits for around 20k on plate) if topped off. Due to lag, the assigned interrupters failed to interrupt Searing Flames a few times, which instantly lead to a wipe. The reason was the 75% reduction of armor on the tank, which meant that Squid Face could one-shot me.

After five wipes (due to four Searing Flames and one parry-gib), the Raid Leader brought in a death knight to tank, and I went retri for dps. The General went down on the first try.

Even though I agree that a death knight tank is better suited (i.e. has more tools to survive) to tank General Vezax, the comparison this time fails, since when the death knight stepped in, suddenly all the Searing Flames were interrupted, and the new tank didn't have to deal with losing 75% of his armor.

For future attempts (if I am ever allowed to tank Squid Face again), an additional cooldown needs to be assigned for when (or rather IF) the tank gets the Searing Flames debuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arnax